Friday, February 1, 2008

The sunset stands alone

Though I'm writing a few words here, the brilliance of the setting sun composes its own poem ... at least it does for those able to look into the sky and quietly allow the unspoken beauty to etch an imprint on their souls.
In the early and mid-1990s I worked at a child care center that had a bank of windows all along the front of the building allowing for a wide-open and clear view of the setting sun each day. Whenever the sky offered a particularly spectacular display, I would point it out to the children who would always be duly impressed. Their parents, however, upon arrival to fetch their offspring, had never noticed the beautiful gift set before them as they drove to the center and most -- if given a "heads up" to the setting sun by a child or myself -- didn't care to pause even for the briefest moment to absorb the healing power of nature's wonder.
It baffled me then and it still does...that so few appreciate such a wondrous (and free) display.


Limestone County -- my favorite spot to view the sunset at Holt-Springer & Ezell roads.

Lauderdale County -- right at the spot where the Elk River meets the Tennesse.

Athens -- above the houses right across the street from my house. I took this one from my front porch just before rocking my toddler to sleep. He likes to reach his little hand up and say "kye!"

Limestone County -- Davis Road, where I grew up.

Ditto.

1 comment:

AutumnZ said...

I recall noticing the sunsets as well. Was it easily seen from the back door of the 4 year old classroom after the addition was built? Because that's the image I have in my head. Probably just after Alf, Brittany and Brandon's mom dropped them off.

You remember my favorite, Blake? In my karate stuff I have seen his picture as state champion for his age group (which is nearly 20 years old!)