Sunday, February 24, 2008

I found a Space Pebble in my library book

So, I was at the library the other day and I chose a book because it had the word "moon" in the title.
Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen.
My sweet little old rascally boy absolutely loves the moon and stars so even though the book was for me to read to myself (and not to him) the title caught my eye.
That evening, with my boy settled in his crib snoozing and my husband settled on the couch watching TV, I settled myself at the kitchen counter with a heaping bowl of Grape Nuts cereal and blueberry yogurt and I began to read Keeping the Moon.
Munch, munch, read.
Read, read, munch.
Suddenly, I stopped mid-sentence & mid-munch.
I'm on page 7 and Colie, the coming-of-age teenager in Keeping the Moon, is eating Grape Nuts & yogurt!

Whoa!
Wow!
Huh?

Maybe it isn't so bizarre as it seemed to me at the time. But, come on, I've never heard of this author, never heard of this book which I picked from the shelf for no other reason than the word "moon" in the title and then as soon as I start to read it I'm eating the very same somewhat odd-ball, health-freak food as the book's main character?
Yes, yes, it is bizarre, too.
But also pretty cool.
And Keeping the Moon turned out to be one of the best reads I've had in quite a while, by the way.

2 comments:

Rebekah D. said...

That's pretty cool!

AutumnZ said...

You have to love fellow freaks :-)

Great news about recycling. The other day when I went to drop off mine, the recycling dumpster thingy was so full there was no room for any of my stuff. This is for a community of less than 400, and this huge thing is emptied about every 10 days or so!